Golden Visa

The Spanish government has now approved a law which will grant automatic Spanish residency to non-EU citizens who invest 500 thousand Euros in property.

The long-anticipated legislation granting non-EU nationals automatic Spanish residency via property investments has now officially been made law. After having been approved by the Spanish Parliament, the law has been officially published in the state Gazette (BOE), opening the door to thousands of potential investors.

The residency visa will:

  • initially entitle investors to stay in Spain for a maximum of one year (currently 90 days)
  • entitle investors to obtain a further two-year Residency permit, renewable every 2 years as long as the investment threshold of 500, 000 Euros is maintained
  • enable investors to travel without a visa within the 26-country European "Schengen zone"
  • allow family re-unification. The spouse and children under 18 can apply for Residency at the same time as or after the initial application.

The applicant must fulfil the following requirements:

  • not to have entered or stayed ilegally in Spanish territory
  • be 18 years or over
  • have no criminal record
  • not to have been refused entry in any of the Schengen countries
  • have public or private health insurance authorized to operate in Spain
  • have sufficient economic means to cover personal and family living expenses
  • prove ownership of one or more immovable properties in Spain with an overall net investment contribution above 500 thousand euros. Financing is possible for amounts in excess of 500 thousand euros.
  • proof of the investment must be made through a Registry of Property certificate attesting ownership. Or, if the ownership title is not yet registered, via a copy of the acquisition public deed and proof of filing the deed in the Registry

For more information and advice on obtaining the "Golden Visa" please contact us..

  • Frequently Asked Questions: 

  • Golden Visa Spain

  • What is a Golden Visa in Spain?

  • It is a new type of residence visa, established by the Law 14/2013, of the 27thof September, aimed at those non-resident foreigners who want to enter the Spanish territory in order to carry out a significant capital investment.
  • Which are the types of Golden Visa in Spain?

  • The law distinguishes two big groups. The capital investments (in public debt, social shares of Spanish companies, bank deposits in Spanish financial entities and through the acquisition of real estate assets) and other kind of investments (creation of a company of general interest, high qualified professionals and transactions within the same company).

Does the golden visa authorize me to circulate freely within the Schengen area?

Yes. The investor’s visa authorizes to circulate freely within the “Schengen” area (Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden and Switzerland).

Can I keep my tax residence outside Spain?

Yes. The holder of the permit can keep his tax residence outside Spain, as long as he stays in our country for a period less than 183 days per year. Also, the residence permit can be renewed even with absences longer than six months per year.

How long can I stay in Spain with my Golden Visa?

The residence visa for investors authorizes to stay in Spain during one year. Once this period is expired, a residence authorization can be requested for a period of two years, renewable for two more years if you prove the maintenance of the investment.

Does the golden visa authorize me to work?

Yes. The Golden Visa authorizes to live and work in Spain. This results from the Fourth Additional Provision of the Law, which states a single proceeding to request a permit authorizing to live and work.

Does the proceeding to obtain the residence be reduced?

Yes. The visa applications will be solved and notified in a period of ten working days, while the maximum period to solve the residence authorizations are 20 days since the submission of the application, with a positive administrative silence.

The 500.000 Euros are per petitioner or per application?

Per petitioner, but he can also include his companion relatives, who can jointly and simultaneously or successively request the authorization and, in case, the visa. Nevertheless, they have to fulfil the general requirements and prove the relationship bond through their corresponding certificates.

Who have the consideration of companion relatives in order to request the investor visa?

The position as relatives will be considered for the spouse and children less than 18 years or of legal age that are not objectively able to provide their own necessities due to their health condition.


Should the investment be carried out free of charges and encumbrances?

Yes. In the assumption of acquisition of real estate assets, the petitioner should prove his capacity of carrying out an investment of 500.000 Euros free of any charge and encumbrance. Nevertheless, the amount that exceeds for the required figure can be subject to charges or encumbrances.

At the termination of the maximum period of five years, can I request the long-term residence?

It can be requested, but will not be granted automatically at the termination of the investors permit. In this case, the continuity of the residence in Spain should be proven for the acquisition of the long-term residence.

What requirements do I have to comply to access the long-term residency?

In order to access the long term residency, it is required that the person from abroad has lived legal and effectively in Spain for five years. That the residency is effective means that the periods lived out of Spanish Territory must be less than six consecutive months and not exceed a total of ten months during the said five years.

Does the time period of legal residency in Spain count at the time of requesting the nationality?

Yes. The time lived in Spain legally will count to request the long-term residency and also the nationality.

Can I opt to continue renovating the residence permit for each investor every two years indefinitely?

Yes, however with certain clarifications. The residence authorization for investors must have an initial duration of two years, after which the permit can be renovated every two years indefinitely in the case that the investment and the rest of requirements are complied.